[argyllcms] Re: [argyllcms] Re: Monitor screen color unevenness/irregularity

  • From: Alexey Blinov <abvgdee@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:54:19 +0400

As Graeme suggested, here are my results in L*a*b* space (i.e., the common
Delta E), as diameters of the corresponding balls (enclosing many
measurements..):
CRT monitor spatial non-uniformity: 6, LCD: 8
Colorimeter accuracy: 0.2
Distance between the above two whites (between centers of the balls): 0.25

I now see what keywords describe this issue: "Color Uniformity Compensation".
And EIZO's white paper for their ColorEdge CG221 (see google) has the plots I
was looking for: before compensation (Delta E around 5, except at the edges)
and after (less than 1).

For the Janos' NEC PA231W, there's dramatic improvement both in color temp and
Y, like 10-15 times. Everything smooth is linear in small regions, so errors
(also Delta E) are reduced proportionally. Similar as EIZO.

So looks like calibrating/profiling a regular monitor only makes sense for some
small area, e.g. at the center. And its size is to be determined by the user
experimentally. Then scale your photos to fit interesting parts into that area.
Simple :) BTW, such experiment should ideally be done for several graylevels..