[argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V13 #116

  • From: Jack Dausman <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 09:59:14 -0400

Thank you Graeme ! The "bell" is now working and I'll put in the new code
in /opt and update $Path. While I did read over the documentation, I am
also pulling from other write ups on Linux/ColorMunki/Argyll and this was
never mentioned. My bad.

Jack
(571) 295-6783

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 1:07 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager <
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

argyllcms Digest        Mon, 03 Oct 2016        Volume: 13  Issue: 116

In This Issue:
                [argyllcms] ColorMunki print profile strip scan doesn't
prov
                [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow
                [argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki print profile strip scan doesn't
                [argyllcms] Re: How to use ArgyllCMS with Lumagen
                [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow
                [argyllcms] Re: How to use ArgyllCMS with Lumagen
                [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow
                [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow
                [argyllcms] Re: oeminst V1.9.1: wrong install directory on
O

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Jack Dausman <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 07:17:34 -0400
Subject: [argyllcms] ColorMunki print profile strip scan doesn't provide
any in

Newbie on ArgyllCMS, long time Linux user. I'm looking to profile
paper/printer/ink for an Epson P800 with 3rd party inks. I'm also using a
Linux RIP (Turboprint). I've been using ColorHug for display calibration.
Argyll version is standard from the Ubuntu apt archive (1.5.1-5ubuntu1)


targen went fine, creating three TIF files, which I printed up.

But, when I use chartread, there is no "beep" or any visual indication of a
strip scan.

- The ColorMunki is recognized and it's calibrated. Here's the output:

"/usr/bin/chartread" -v "canonluster"

Steps in each Pass = 14

Passes in each Strip = 7, 7, 1

Instrument Type:   ColorMunki

Serial Number:     2079309

Firmware version:  288

Chip ID:           01-5EBA10180000A5

Version string:    'colormunki FW V1.32  Build Nr. 1303'

Calibration Ver.:  6

Production No.:    153361

Set instrument sensor to calibration position,

and then hit any key to continue,

or hit Esc or Q to abort:

Calibration complete


However, once I'm prompted to start strip scanning, nothing seems to
happen. I tried clicking the ColorMunki key, then scan, then hitting the
key again. I tried the "f" or a space bar--but there was never an
indication that the A strip was read. When I checked a few Youtube videos,
I could hear a beep, and see the terminal prompt for reading the next row.

There is no response to the scan of my first row. I then ran it in debug,
and put the log.txt into a folder:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6HsY1NkgqiiLUFFTTRIelhHNW8?
usp=sharing

Any ideas why I'm stuck at the first pass of a scan ?

Ready to read strip pass A

Press 'f' to move forward, 'b' to move back, 'n' for next unread,

'd' when done, Esc or 'q' to quit without saving.

Trigger instrument switch or any other key to start:


Thanks for any guidelines.

Jack
(571) 295-6783



------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:10:55 +1100
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow

posts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

following the advice by Fraser et al. (2005) I have assigned one of my
scanner profiles
created with Argyll to a GrangerRainbow image. The profile was for a
Fuji slide using
colprof with the options -qh -Zp -as -bn.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "assigned to". A scanner profile maps
between
the scanner RGB gamut and PCS values. Due to the nature of the type of
profile, the
gamut explored by the test chart is limited. Any RGB values beyond those
exercised by
the test chart have to be extrapolated, and hence are inaccurate. So there
is no surprise that if you explore the extrapolated RGB space, that you
may see undefined behavior.

There is a sharply defined rectangular range at upper left, which should
not be there (see
attachment). It vanishes if I use the option -ax, where the Rainbow
image looks as expected.

A matrix model or one in a different PCS space to L*a*b* will tend to
different
extrapolations.

It's all rather irrelevant unless you have things you are going to scan
that fall into these areas, in which case you really need a test chart
that covers the gamut you want to use.

Cheers,

Graeme Gill.


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:19:12 +1100
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: ColorMunki print profile strip scan doesn't

Jack Dausman wrote:

Hi,

Argyll version is standard from the Ubuntu apt archive (1.5.1-5ubuntu1)

fairly old. Why not switch to the latest code, V1.9.1, rather than
using out of date distro builds ?

But, when I use chartread, there is no "beep" or any visual indication
of a strip scan.

chartread simply emits a Bell character (^G) to the terminal. If your
terminal doesn't make any sound for the Bell character, then you need
to configure your systems so that it does.
See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_Linux.html> for some hints
that
may help you get it working.

As explained in the imstrument doco:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#strip>
you need to press and hold the button.

However, once I'm prompted to start strip scanning, nothing seems to
happen. I tried
clicking the ColorMunki key, then scan, then hitting the key again.

You need to follow the instructions that came with your instrument as to
how it operates. Also see:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#strip> and ColorMunki.

Cheers,

Graeme Gill.


------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:27:44 +1100
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: How to use ArgyllCMS with Lumagen

Praeger M.F. wrote:

Hi,

My main question is... can I get ArgyllCMS to generate the grayscale
calibration data
for me? ...and then the 3d LUT? Is this good/best practice?

ArgyllCMS doesn't directly support the Lumagen. Both dispcal and dispread
have
provision for calling scripts to display patch values (-C parameter).

I'm new to all of this so any advice would be great. At the moment I'm
not sure if I
should be using relative calorimetric or perceptual etc. I'm guessing I
should be
aiming for rec 709? I would probably like to configure a couple of
different gamma
options.

Looks through the video section of the guide:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#TV1>

Cheers,
        Graeme Gill.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 14:46:29 +0200
From: posts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow

Graeme, thanks for your reply and clarification.

with "assigned to" I meant that I used SilverFast HDR to apply the
profile to the GrangerRainbow-image and output the result in Adobe RGB.

Hermann-Josef

Zitat von Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

posts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

following the advice by Fraser et al. (2005) I have assigned one of
my scanner profiles
created with Argyll to a GrangerRainbow image. The profile was for
a Fuji slide using
colprof with the options -qh -Zp -as -bn.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "assigned to". A scanner
profile maps between
the scanner RGB gamut and PCS values. Due to the nature of the type
of profile, the
gamut explored by the test chart is limited. Any RGB values beyond
those exercised by
the test chart have to be extrapolated, and hence are inaccurate. So
there
is no surprise that if you explore the extrapolated RGB space, that you
may see undefined behavior.

There is a sharply defined rectangular range at upper left, which
should not be there (see
attachment). It vanishes if I use the option -ax, where the Rainbow
image looks as expected.

A matrix model or one in a different PCS space to L*a*b* will tend
to different
extrapolations.

It's all rather irrelevant unless you have things you are going to scan
that fall into these areas, in which case you really need a test chart
that covers the gamut you want to use.

Cheers,

Graeme Gill.




------------------------------

From: "Praeger M.F." <mattp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: How to use ArgyllCMS with Lumagen
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 13:08:13 +0000

Thanks for your reply Graeme,

Lots of reading material there I will go through it in detail over the
next few days.

I understand that Lumagen is not directly supported, however, I'm happy to
share my simple scripts which could possibly help to add that support in
future.

My current plan is for the following procedure; perhaps you could let me
know if this is reasonable:

Check white point 100% and/or 75%. Manually adjust RGB drive levels in
Panasonic service menu to achieve correct white point and desired light
output.

Create patch set for 21 point grayscale.
Measure grayscale response - calculate correction values - upload these
values into the Lumagen grayscale table.

Profile using the 21 point grayscale and if necessary itterate correction
values until the desired output is produced.

Create 125 point colour patch set 5x5x5 3d LUT. Measure response -
calculate corrrection values - upload these values into the Lumagen colour
gamut table.

Perform full profile - itterate entire process if needed.

At the moment I'm still not clear that ArgyllCMS can do the grayscale
part. And I'm not sure if it makes sense to apply the 3d LUT over the top
of the grayscale correction. Ideally I want to use both the 21 point
grayscale and the 125 point 3d LUT in order to get the most control (5x5x5
points on their own is not very high resolution). I have now bought an i1
display pro which hopefully should speed up the whole process.

Cheers,
Matt


-----Original Message-----
From: Graeme Gill [graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Received: Monday, 03 Oct 2016, 13:27
To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: How to use ArgyllCMS with Lumagen

Praeger M.F. wrote:

Hi,

My main question is... can I get ArgyllCMS to generate the grayscale
calibration data
for me? ...and then the 3d LUT? Is this good/best practice?

ArgyllCMS doesn't directly support the Lumagen. Both dispcal and dispread
have
provision for calling scripts to display patch values (-C parameter).

I'm new to all of this so any advice would be great. At the moment I'm
not sure if I
should be using relative calorimetric or perceptual etc. I'm guessing I
should be
aiming for rec 709? I would probably like to configure a couple of
different gamma
options.

Looks through the video section of the guide:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#TV1>

Cheers,
        Graeme Gill.


------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 10:38:26 +1100
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow

Just to add another thought to this -
for any given input device, it is not certain that all possible RGB
values extrapolate to real colors. It is quite
possible (and happens regularly with things like cameras) that
extrapolated RGB values wwill map to imaginary colors (i.e.
-ve luminance, or chromaticities beyond the spectrum locus).

This is for two reasons, one being that the RGB ranges are
arbitrary in relation to the corresponding real world colors,
and an input device typically is a different observer, and
so doesn't "see" color the same way as a standard observer.

Graeme Gill.

------------------------------

Subject: [argyllcms] Re: Checking profile with GrangerRainbow
From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 16:57:54 -0700

On Oct 3, 2016, at 4:38 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

an input device typically is a different observer, and
so doesn't "see" color the same way as a standard observer.

For those who might (as I once did) have trouble warping your brain 'round
that...consider a printed yellow and a visual match on a computer display,
and maybe even another matching yellow from an LED bulb. All look the same
but have radically different spectra. Your camera might actually be able to
see them as different colors.

Or, consider humans with various color deficiencies. You might see the
numbers in the chart of dots, but your nephew might not. There will be
other charts that you can't see the numbers but your camera will, and
vice-versa.

The math all works out, but the underlying idea is that all these devices
(including your eyes) are basically spectroscopes, but with really low
spectral resolutions such that, rather than, say, a few dozen bands of a
few nanometers each (like in an i1), you've got three bands of dozens of
nanometers each -- and the spectral characteristics of the three bands
aren't the same.

...of course, our eyes (and cameras) have far more spatial resolution than
any spectroscope, even while their spectral resolution is extremely
limited....

Cheers,

b&
------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 12:52:30 +1100
From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [argyllcms] Re: oeminst V1.9.1: wrong install directory on OS X?

Simo Kivimäki wrote:

Hi,

Apparently V1.9.1 uses wrongly ~/.local/share directory instead of
~/Library/Application Support.

thanks - looks like a configuration problem affecting the build.
I'll add a fix to the 1.9.2 code.

Graeme Gill.


------------------------------

End of argyllcms Digest V13 #116
********************************


Other related posts:

  • » [argyllcms] Re: argyllcms Digest V13 #116 - Jack Dausman