[argyllcms] Re: [argyllcms]

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:13:32 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:

P.P.S. I'm mostly working with RAW files  from a Canon 300D; I use
Adobe  Camera  Raw  to  get  it into  Photoshop  in  the  ProPhoto
colorspace, and then convert immediately to BruceRGB for a working
space. And, yeah,  some of the  images really  do have that  big a
gamut. I just don't  (yet) know the best way to  deal with 'em. On
the other hand, they also tend to be the photos with the trickiest
lighting, with a few blown highlights and some invisible shadows--
direct sunlight on an Arizona summer afternoon, for example. b&

It sounds a little like you're on the edge of HDR (High Dynamic Range) photography, in terms of the problems to be solved.

Most of the current automatic approaches to rendering HRD images
down to more limited media, involve local contrast preservation
combined with global contrast compression, using various models
of how the human eye works as a guide.