[argyllcms] Re: Yet another cry for help with my printer profile.

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:02:57 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:
Perhaps you or someone else could give me some hints about where to
start?

On setting up the device, you should be using test images in that
devices native space. So if the driver makes it appear as a CMYK
device, use CMYK test charts. Fundamentals are things like
per channel wedges, and combinations to show maximum density,
over inking etc. Overlays (say CMY wedge) can be good for
examining screening visibility. You can't look at realism of
color rendition in this state (because it's not colormetrically
characterized), but you are looking at range, smoothness and control.

When it's looking good in its native space, you would then move on
to profiling it, allowing evaluating pretty pictures that have
been transformed into the native space.