[argyllcms] XYZ LUT profile unable to be installed on Windows XP or used with Firefox 3.5

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 00:43:26 +0300

Hello, Alexander!

You're wrote:

> colprof -v -qh -ax -A Sony -M GDM-F520 -C "(c) 2009" -D "12-20-2009"
> -S "sRGB.icm" "12-20-2009"

The -ax key means that a LUT-in-XYZ-space profile will be built.

> When I create an ICC profile with the above command line in either
> Argyll 1.0.3, 1.0.4, 1.1.0 Beta, 1.1.0 RC1, or 1.1.0 RC2, Windows XP
> says the profile is invalid when I try to install it.

It's possible that the Windows didn't know XYZ-LUT profiles at all. It only
accepts the matrix and Lab-LUT profiles. IMHO.

> I need to create an XYZ profile instead of a LAB profile so it can be
> used in Firefox 3.5 (since it doesn't support LAB). Firefox, like
> Windows, also thinks the profile is invalid when I point to it
> directly.

Just try -g or -s keys for colprof. The profile will be shaper&matrix in the
case and FireFox will handle such profiles well.

> Am I doing something wrong? Is this just a limitation of Argyll? Is it
> a longstanding unfixed bug?

I think there no problems in Argyll.

> When I compare the ICC tags in an XYZ LUT profile created by Argyll to
> a XYZ LUT profile created by Profile Maker 5, it appears the Argryll
> profile is missing the rXYZ, bXYZ, gXYZ, rTRC, bTRC, and gTRC tags.

It looks like the Profile Maker do the matrix&shaper profile. Not a LUT-profile.

> Could these missing tags be the reason why both Windows and Firefox
> rejects the profile? Is something else wrong?

The type of profile You try to build is not an appropriate for the case. Try to
built a simple matrix profile.

Best regards,
Nikolay.