[argyllcms] Re: XRandR 1.2 is faulty...

  • From: "Hal V. Engel" <hvengel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 13:22:13 -0800

On Saturday 27 December 2008 00:34:21 Graeme Gill wrote:
> David H. Vree wrote:
> > I am running Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) and get the warning "XRandR 1.2 is
> > faulty - falling back to older extensions" with almost every Argyll
> > command.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me specifically what might be wrong with xrandr so i can
> > file a bug report upstream?
>
> As I understand it, the "bug" is with the video drivers not fully
> supporting XRandR 1.2, and with the X11 server not properly communicating
> this through to the client software. Encouraging those responsible for the
> various video drivers to fully support XRandR 1.2 (Good luck - people like
> NVidia have been dragging their feet).

NVidia promised to do this over two years ago and have yet to deliver a driver
that supports XRadR 1.2.  Phoronix reported last week that this is now a top
priority for nVidia and nVidia X11 driver developers have posted to the nV
News forums that it is now a priority.  But they have not given an estimated
date so we may see this sometime in the next few months but maybe not.

AMD's proprietary video drivers have supported this for a few months now so
newer versions of their driver should work.  So if you are using an older
AMD/ATI driver you may want to upgrade (also the newer versions of the driver
are reported to be of MUCH higher quality).

Most of the open source drivers have had XRandR 1.2 support for some time now.