[argyllcms] Re: Wrong gamma / color rendition worse than before calibration

  • From: "Thomas Bartosik" <tbartdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:50:46 +0200

Graeme Gill wrote:

> It seems that by changing the white point from something near the native white
> to 6.5K you have reduced the brightness using the LUTs. That will loose you
> contrast
> ratio and steps. You could avoid this by using the native white point,
> or at least a white point closer to the native white point.

> Graeme Gill.

Tried that as I suspected it last night. I also set the gamma to the measured
one of the uncalibrated display: 2.29; no improvement...

Regarding Florian's comments:

Florian Höch wrote:

> Am 07.09.2011 20:18, schrieb Thomas Bartosik:
> > Well, that's bad news.
> > Though I cannot agree on the viewing angle sensitivity (I can barely see
> any color shifting, even at close to 180°...)
>
> A good viewing angle might indicate a PVA or even IPS type panel, but
> those are seen rarely in mobile computers. A brief search for the T61p
> panel specs didn't turn up much, so I concluded (maybe wrongly) it's a
> TN panel.
>
> > I think you're the one to know this better...
>
> Not necessarily, as I don't have a T61p :)

I also did a lot of research and only found out it's a LG-Philips
LP154WU1(TL)(B1), but found no spec sheet for it...

> > My only question is this:
> > Is the screen only subjectively better without calibration or is the
> reduced gamut a problem for argyll and the result is therefore bad?
>
> Probably the former (my attempt at explanation below).
>
> > I mean before calibrating and profiling I could at least differentiate
> more color nuances than afterwards. This is somewhat strange.
>
> Not strange at all: Without the profile, the gamut of everything that is
> viewed on screen is squashed down to the comparably small gamut of it,
> leaving nuances intact, but at the expense of saturation.
>
> > What IS better after calibrating and profiling?
>
> All colors that are in-gamut will (or should) match better after
> profiling.
>
> To get some numbers how the screen copes with e.g. sRGB source material,
> you could use dispcalGUI's profile check feature:
> First, select the profile you want to test under "Settings".
> Then choose "Verify profile" from the "Tools" menu.
> In the file dialog, select "sRGB.icm" as simulation profile.
> In the next dialog, select one of the "verify" testcharts.
> Finally, you'll be asked to choose a name and location to save the
> report under.
> After the measurements, you'll get a graphical report with the color
> patches, expected vs. measured values, Delta E numbers and bar graphs.
> It'll probably be quite red (ie. bad) because of the screen's small
> gamut though.

I'll definitely try that. But isn't verifying a screen that's been
calibrated/profiled with a possibly erratic colorimeter with the same
colorimeter only going to give the same (bad) results?
I think it all boils down to this:
How I can trust in the calibrated/profiled look of the display? I think I could
only cross-check with another colorimeter and the probability of the result
being correcty should be higher if the two measurements do not differ too much.

> > Even the worst display I have ever seen (also in a notebook, viewing
> angle of maybe 60°, and the white level problems mentioned in my first post)
> got A LOT better by calibrating it.
> > Or is seeing more brightness steps no improvement? I don't know, maybe
> it's too subjective.
> >
> > In an uncalibrated state, I get output from my printing company that's
> pretty close to what I design. After calibration I am sure the output will
> differ a lot more. I am questioning whether there are situations where not
> calibrating might be better. Or is this a limitation in argyll?
> > I understand my display may not be as good as I thought it to be ;-( but
> shouldn't calibrating at least improve it a little and not make it worse?
>
> Are we only talking about calibration (tone curve and white point
> adjustment), or also in conjunction with the profile (and software that
> actually uses the profile)?

Both. My desktop looks ugly after loading the .icc profile and if i put the icc
profile to use in a color managed app it gets even worse...

> > I have uploaded a HQ pass done in dispcalGUI (just tried it out: The
> graphs are pretty neat!) to
> > http://rockbrew.com/argyll
> >
> > What still makes me wonder is that no other LG panel in a thinkpad has
> that strange strong low end bending of the gradation curves. They are all
> different but more similar to one another that to mine.
>
> Those depend on the tone curve that is chosen upon calibration. Judging
> from looking at the calibration curves, I'd assume the native response
> of the screen is maybe closer to 1.9ish than 2.2 in the lower end
> towards black (but it's obviously only a wild guess on my part).

The spyder 2 measures an uncalibrated 2.29 overall gamma.. Should I try with
1.9?

> > I somewhere read the green gel used in the spyder2 display filter might
> give wrong measurements over time. Can I completely rule out errors in my
> colorimeter?
>
> The filters in most colorimeters degrade over time, so it can't be
> completely ruled out.

Another fact that does not make things easier ;-)

Maybe we can come to some standard so we can compare things?

I've just profiled a DELL 2405FPW, which - according to tests here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/spyder2express.htm
(when using the LaCie hardware) has more or less sRGB gamut.

Guess what? The result is also disappointing. But reading the article
referenced strongly gives me the feeling that the spyder2 is to blame.

The .icc and .cal files are at
rockbrew.com/argyll
again.
Compare them to the ones posted at
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
and they are largely different again.

so either all my displays are bad or my spyder is bad.

My nvidia-settings tell me I should use 6bit dithering for my t61p panel so I
guess you're right - it's a TN.

Any directions on what to do now - is the spyder really to blame? Am I doing
something wrong?
Can this be the filter/should I try to calibrate a CRT without the filter (or
would I even get a new filter for the spyder?)

Guess I'll soon be buying a new colorimeter - preferably one that's
future-proof i.e. WCG and LED backlight capable. Any suggestions? Should be
cheap but give acceptable results - i.e. FAR better than the spyder...
Or I'll save on the colorimeter and get a Lenovo W notebook...