[argyllcms] Re: Wrong gamma / color rendition worse than before calibration

  • From: "Thomas Bartosik" <tbartdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 20:18:22 +0200

Well, that's bad news.
Though I cannot agree on the viewing angle sensitivity (I can barely see any
color shifting, even at close to 180°...) I think you're the one to know this
better...

My only question is this:
Is the screen only subjectively better without calibration or is the reduced
gamut a problem for argyll and the result is therefore bad?

I mean before calibrating and profiling I could at least differentiate more
color nuances than afterwards. This is somewhat strange. What IS better after
calibrating and profiling?
Even the worst display I have ever seen (also in a notebook, viewing angle of
maybe 60°, and the white level problems mentioned in my first post) got A LOT
better by calibrating it.
Or is seeing more brightness steps no improvement? I don't know, maybe it's too
subjective.

In an uncalibrated state, I get output from my printing company that's pretty
close to what I design. After calibration I am sure the output will differ a
lot more. I am questioning whether there are situations where not calibrating
might be better. Or is this a limitation in argyll?
I understand my display may not be as good as I thought it to be ;-( but
shouldn't calibrating at least improve it a little and not make it worse?

I have uploaded a HQ pass done in dispcalGUI (just tried it out: The graphs are
pretty neat!) to
http://rockbrew.com/argyll

What still makes me wonder is that no other LG panel in a thinkpad has that
strange strong low end bending of the gradation curves. They are all different
but more similar to one another that to mine.
I somewhere read the green gel used in the spyder2 display filter might give
wrong measurements over time. Can I completely rule out errors in my
colorimeter?

Thank you for your time and explanations!