[argyllcms] Re: Wow.

  • From: Milton Taylor <milton.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:51:58 +1000

That's a good news story!

[Musing] I would be curious to know how this result would compare with the profile that would be produced by GM's own software.

Also, do you think there would be much difference between the -qh and -qu settings? What -r did you end up using?

And finally, what average and peak dE's did you get?

--Milt

Ben Goren wrote:
I just made  my first print with a  no-holds-barred Argyll profile
(3680  patches  pre-conditioned  from an  earlier  profile,  ultra
quality). It was a test sheet I've just finished making with a few
of my own favorite photos and some chart-type things.

And there's only one word to describe it.

WOW!

I mean, it's not just a  question of being ``close enough'' or ``I
don't think  anybody'll notice  the difference'' or  anything like
that. It's  just /right./ The  grays aren't  just ``pretty  darned
close to  neutral,'' they /are/  neutral. Not warm, not  cool, not
greenish  or purplish  or anything  else--simply neutral. You  can
(just barely,  of course)  distinguish between  each and  every 1%
step  in gray. Color  fidelity  is  better than  my  own eyes  can
resolve.

And the detail! I've seen contact  prints that didn't look half as
good.   Not  a hint  of  noise. Contrast  isn't even  a  question;
everything simply has the right  value, so the contrast can't help
but be exactly right.

Even the artifacts on a Grainger  Rainbow are almost on a par with
those on my laptop's display. I didn't think that was possible.

Thank you,  Graeme, and David (for  helping me get the  i1 to work
with  Argyll),  and everybody  else  who  helped make  Argyll  the
absolutely amazingly incredible tool it is.

(And, of course, a bit of thanks to the Greytag MacBeth people for
making the Eye-One...though  it sure would be nice  if y'all would
open up  the specs so people  like me didn't have  to jump through
nearly so many hoops.)

Cheers,

b&