[argyllcms] Re: Working with a Unique Ink Configuration

  • From: Nikolay Pokhilchenko <nikolay_po@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 09:45:49 +0400

Hello, Terry!
You've wrote:

> At some point I might like to experiment with changing out Epson s K, LK,
> and LLK in my 3800 and instead using Jon Cone s Selenium inks 1, 4 and 5
> (Piezography   Inkjetmall.com). These are part of a high quality, 7 ink
> dilution, dedicated black and white ink set. The intent would be to improve
> printing in neutral areas, as Selenium is already very close to neutral and
> would require little or no colour mixed in to produce neutral gray.

Why do You think that Epson's K, LK and LLK is not high quality and they is not
close to the neutral? The non-Epson inks may be less light-stable.

> A colour
> RIP would be ideal for this, but I m wondering if Argyll could facilitate
> this in some manner.

ArgyllCMS have not the RIP functions. It can linearize a multichannel device,
but it can't do the image separation more than into 4 channels (CMYK) and it
can't send the data to the printer. So the RIP is highly recommended in Your
case. But with the Epson driver and Epson's inks the printer may by profiled
well in RGB-mode (without Argyll linearization).

> Will there be any problem creating a printer profile for this ink
> configuration (Mac printing via Epson driver).

The problems may take a place at the transitions between LLK, LK and K if the
substitute inks are not exactly the same by density. The printer behavior may
be less linear.

> Would there be any way to control / limit the amount of colour ink used to
> print in neutral or near-neutral areas?

If You print through the Epson driver, You have not an influence on the black
generation=color_ink_used, because printer works in "RGB" mode and can not
print the black (K) independently.

> Are there other Argyll features that might be helpful?

Argyll can do the perfect device linearizarion. But You have to use RIP.
Argyll can do image-depended device-links to achieve optimal gamut compression
(mapping).
Argyll can profile the photo cameras and scanners, can measure the flashes. So
You can build a fully color-managed workflow.

Best regards,
Nikolay.