[argyllcms] Windows: libusb-1.0 support

  • From: Steffen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 15:54:41 +0200

Hey!
I (recently – well not anymore) switched to Win7 x64. Since then, I have
been trying different ways to get my DTP94 work with the ArgyllCMS
binaries. What (sort of) worked, was a workaround by installing the
libusb0.dll that comes with the argyll-package and seems to be a 32 Bit
version by signing it myself, and setting Windows to test mode — as no
unsigned drivers are allowed under x64 versions of more recent windows
editions anymore.

Although this did work and I was able to access the instrument with
ArgyllCMS, restarting or going to standby/shutting down the system
always results in a bluescreen, because apparently libusb causes some
issues when used in this environment.

As of late 2009 there is now a development branch of libusb 1.0 designed
to run on windows, including the x64 editions.

Those drivers install without problem, but unfortunatelly, even though I
now have a libusb-device called X-Rite DTP94, ArgyllCMS does not
recognize the device.

spotread -yl -d9 -e output:

icoms: Write_Read called with ';D024^M^J'
icoms: About to write ';D024^M^J' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: About to return read '' ICOM err 0x2000
icoms: Write_Read Write failed - returning 0x2000
icoms: About to set port characteristics:
       Port = 1
       Flow control = 1
       Baud Rate = 7
       Parity = 1
       Stop bits = 1
       Word length = 4
icoms: serial port characteristics set ok

icoms: Write_Read called with ';D024^M^J'
icoms: About to write ';D024^M^J' ICOM err 0x0
icoms: About to return read '' ICOM err 0x2000
icoms: Write_Read Write failed - returning 0x2000
instType: Failed to establish coms
spotread: Warning - Unknown, inappropriate or no instrument detected

I guess this is the result of using a different version of the libusb
library in ArgyllCMS.

So, I was wondering: is there a way to fix this or any plans regarding
x64 editions of windows?

If not: would booting to a linux system and running it solely for
calibrating and profiling the display be a valid option? As I understand
it, a profile created under linux and used in windows does technically
work, but are there differences in the way linux addresses the output of
the graphics card, rendering the profile inaccurate when used in a
windows environment?

Greetings,
Steffen