[argyllcms] Re: Windows 8 Colormunki driver

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:18:43 +1000

Mathieu GRENET wrote:
> Maybe the good new is that in windows 8 (as of the preview version), if you
> disable signing
> enforcement, it stay disabled against reboot, and the driver works fine. I
> think it was not the
> case with seven.

Right, but how many people want to do that, since it opens up their machine
to any malicious unsigned driver out there ?

Another approach would be to sign it with an ArgyllCMS key, and ask
people to install the corresponding root certificate in their box.
That ensures that they are only trusting the ArgyllCMS drivers,
but I'm not sure how palatable that approach is in general.

Commercial code signing certs tend to be expensive (an annual fee)
and restrictive (narrow scope), and I'd prefer not to be dependent
on such external authorities who could repudiate such a cert on a
whim or instruction from a foreign government.