[argyllcms] Re: White point or black point adjustment not working

  • From: George Willegers <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:51:56 +0200

Klaus Karcher schreef:
George Willegers wrote:
I am trying to adjust my display (Eizo L568 LCD)

A good choice (I am familiar with the Eizo L768 and I'm happy with it)

I'm a little less happier with it, since at work I am using a 21" 1600x1200 display, so I am considering buying a larger one ;-)
Maybe an Eizo S2431, it gets good reviews.
When I try to set the white point or the black point (options 2 and 4 of the menu shown by dispcal -ly -v), the following happens:
- measurements are done
- I am asked to adjust the R, G and B offsets

the Eizo has no offset controls AFAIK -- you can only adjust the whitepoint with the RGB (gain) controls.

So I should only take steps 2 and 3 of dispcal (white point and white level)? That leaves me with a pink sort of white. Colour temperature is set to 6500K.
[...]
Target white brightness = native brightness
[...]
Doing some initial measurements
[...]
White = XYZ  29.51  34.26  33.78

... the brightness seems /very/ low to me. Are you sure your measurement device is OK? Do you really aim for 34 cd/m^2 ? I guess it's difficult to get stable backlight conditions at this low level.

That's what came out after doing steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 of dispcal. The brightness looked too low to me, I think I misinterpreted the instruction of step 3. After just doing 2 and 3 I now have the following (apart from white looking like pink):
Black = XYZ   0.25   0.20   0.29
Grey  = XYZ  24.66  26.08  29.56
White = XYZ 113.08 119.22 137.37
1%    = XYZ   1.58   1.65   1.99

 Current Brightness = 119.22
 Target 50% Level  = 22.59, Current = 26.08, error =  2.9%
 Target Near Black =  1.19, Current =  1.73, error =  0.5%
 Current white = x 0.3059, y 0.3225, VDT 6941K DE  0.3
Target black = x 0.3059, y 0.3225, Current = x 0.3028, y 0.3160, error = 3.65 DE

When adjusting the white point, it started with R+ G-- B+. After decreasing the green level a bit this changed into the reverse (R- G++ B-), sometimes changing into R= G= B= without touching the monitor controls. I still think this is odd.