[argyllcms] Re: White Point

  • From: Troy Sobotka <troy.sobotka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:42:54 -0800

“I'll bet a cup of coffee that what they're discovering in that paper at
colour-science.org is the degree to which different choices of primaries
diverge from the actual observer functions.”

In this instance, you owe a coffee Ben. ;)

It is basic linear algebra, as Rick Sayre (CTO of Pixar, who replied in the
thread I linked) eloquently puts it. Any transform from / to RGB / XYZ is
non-orthogonal, and as a result, component wise multiplication fails. This
puts much more pressure on selecting the correct colour space for
manipulation work.

TM's analysis is purely on how far XYZ diverges during a filter move, but
the ∆E doesn't adequately summarize the merits of a particular tristimulus
space based on how colours traverse in terms of saturations and responses.

With respect,
TJS