[argyllcms] Re: Which color instrument just for monitor?

  • From: Denis S <denis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:43:16 +0200

> I've never tried it, but it should be very easy (at least, in principle) with 
> anything that shoots RAW.
> Get yourself a $10 Kodak gray card. Put it wherever you would a print. Meter 
> the card for a standard exposure, be sure you've got the camera set to RAW, 
> and take a picture. Focus isn't important; if anything, having the card *OUT* 
> of focus is preferred.
> Look up the exposure in an exposure value (EV) chart; there're bazillions on 
> the 'Net if you don't already have one. That tells you the light level. If 
> your EV chart doesn't have a conversion to whatever unit you want, Google 
> again is your friend.
> Open the picture in your favorite RAW processing software, and use the gray 
> card to determine the color temperature.
> That's about all there is to it....
> Cheers,
> b&
Thanks Ben, for nice instructions! After sending message, I've realized
that UFRaw give me readings of color temperature for specific spot, so
it should be as easy to take temperature readings as setting white
balance for photo :)
Going to try and see if get some data which would be close to readings
from Huey.

Other related posts: