[argyllcms] Re: Which color instrument just for monitor?

  • From: Denis S <denis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:38:46 +0200

> You can measure the ambient light using the Huey and Argyll either
> using spotread -a, or as part of setting up the monitor within
> dispcal. The color temperature is always D50 because the Huey
> only has a monochrome ambient sensor (that's what the bump on
> the back of the instrument is.) The accuracy doesn't seem to
> be fabulous, but it does function.
>
> Graeme Gill.
Thanks Graeme! Just tried it, and it's worked. I wouldn't suppose that
it would measure color temperature for 40$ I've bought it :) Have tried
to measure ambient light previously using menu option in dispcal, but it
failed(I did it long ago and not on version 1.0.4) so I stop checking
this menu at all.

Can you please advice what would be best placement of Huey in space
during light measuring? I know that it's recommenced to place meter
"beside the display and point upward", but I'm not sure where should it
be exactly. Should I place it between me and monitor on my eye level or
on the table? As difference in reading for these two levels are 70 lux