[argyllcms] Re: What does dispcal actually do?

  • From: Claas Bickeb√∂ller <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:00:29 +0100

Hi,

Am 29.11.2012 um 00:07 schrieb Graeme Gill:

> Richard Hughes wrote:
>> Splitting up the screen "calibration" into two phases, calibration and
>> characterisation is easy enough to explain. Characterisation can be
>> explained as getting the accurate device response, but how do I
>> explain calibration?
>
> Hi Richard,
>       no, I would say that Characterisation is measuring the device,
> not setting a device response. I would call setting a device response
> calibration. See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html>

and to perfectly confuse everyone:

Calibration is a passive process where a measurement value is compared to a
standard.
What Monitor-"calibration" solutions are doing should be called adjustment.

See for example term 2.39 here:

http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_200_2008.pdf

Yes, I know that in graphic arts everyone calls the adjustment of a display or
printer "calibration".
But if you ask for a technically sound explanation you might at least want to
mention this.

Best regards

Claas