[argyllcms] Re: Visualizing calibration charts

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 19:25:52 +1000

Mikhail Matrosov wrote:

Hi,

> I wonder, whether it is a tool in argyll, which allows to generate a
> synthetic image of a chart, given its description in .cht, .cie, or other
> formats? Images like these:
> http://www.babelcolor.com/main_level/ColorChecker.htm#ColorChecker_images

Not at present. It's an interesting idea though. For an x,y reader
(like the spectroscan) it would be useful to use .cht like information
to locate the patches, but the print and scan sides of Argyll aren't that
well integrated at the moment.

> For now I manually parse .cht file for layout of color patches and
> reference XYZ colors, and drow it myself in Matlab. Is there a simpler way?

A lot of the nessesary logic is in scanin. I guess it could be
modified to do this.

> And, by the way, why colors in .cht file are just approximates and one need
> .cie file to run colprof? Wouldn't it be simpler just to include reference
> colors in the same .cht file?

Because a .cht defines chart layout for recognition purposes, while the
reference values depend on the chart instance. So the same .cht
can be used with any number of different manufacturers or instances
of (say) an IT8/7 chart, while (ideally) each one needs a different
set of reference values.