[argyllcms] Using spotread and xicclu to create a CIECAM02 Jab colour wheel

  • From: Hedley Finger <hedley.finger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS Discussion <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:25:53 +1100

I had never heard of ArgyllCMS until two days ago, so am absolutely a
newbie. The task I'm trying to achieve is to measure watercolour paint
samples to update an artist's colour wheel but on the CIECAM02 Jab model
shown at <http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/cwheel06.html>.

I have a GretagMacbeth Spectrolino, the white calibrating chip, and Windows
software but want to use it on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty, hence ArgyllCMS. I
looked up "watercolor" in the list archive but all of the posts
related to digitally
photographing watercolour paintings, and attempting to reproduce them in
print as well as could be done, in some cases using the same paper as the
original painting was on.

My task is simple: to record measurements for each colour paint, and
convert them to colour angle and saturation percentage to plot a colour
wheel with sample spots as shown at the Handprint site. Graeme Gill kindly
pointed me to spotread and xicclu as the commands to use. But I'm totally
bewildered by all the options because I have very little knowledge of
colour science.

Some questions to be answered:

   - Should I calibrate the instrument using the white chip or using the
   Arches paper on which the samples will be painted, it being the one I use
   for all my paintings?
   - What options should I set for spotread to get the correct output to
   the log file? (Graeme has advised me how to edit the log file to retain
   just the data needed.)
   - What options should be set for xicclu? (Graeme has advised me to use
   the lab2lab profile.)

Regards,
Hedley

--
​
Helping Senator George Brandis
senator.brandis@xxxxxxxxxx
<https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=senator.brandis@xxxxxxxxxx>

​,
 <malcolm.turnbull.mp@xxxxxxxxxx>
​, <bill.shorten.mp@xxxxxxxxxx>, and <jason.clare.mp@xxxxxxxxxx>​
 on every outgoing email. The
​Australian ​
government
​and spineless opposition ​
are going to spend $400 million to record all our incoming and outgoing
call numbers, email addresses, and browsing destinations for "security".
What an invasion of privacy and a misuse of money!​

1/17 Glyndon Road, Camberwell VIC 3124, Australia
hedley.finger@xxxxxxxxx
Telephone 03 9836 4635
Mobile 0412 461 558
LinuxCounter.net registered computer 576484 (course there are more Linux
users than that!)