[argyllcms] Re: Use of DTP-22 digital swatchbook with Argyll CMS

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:10:36 +1100

Mario Becroft (mailing list) wrote:
I could instead get one of those new Colorvision Spyder systems, but it
is not supported by my Onyx RIP so I would have to import the data
through a text file, and I was also unsure about whether it will ever be
supported in Argyll (which I would also like to be able to use).

I'll take a look at supporting the DataColor PrintFIX instrument after I'm
done with the current batch of instruments. It comes down to how
much you're prepared to pay I suspect. The Colorvision instrument is
very economical, but (at least from what's on the DataColor website),
it's unclear to me whether it reads strips or not. I suspect it
does not, so it's no better than the DT22 in that respect.

If you want a sure fire popular and versatile instrument,
then the Eye-One Pro is probably the way to go. Another
instrument that is less versatile, but reportedly works
well is the DTP20, although I understand this is no longer
being actively sold by X-Rite. There may be quite a few
DTP20's in warehouses though, so if you know a friendly
X-Rite dealer, perhaps you should make them an offer :-)
[I have a DTP20, and am in the process of adding support for
it in Argyll]

Is the only problem with the DTP22 the speed of taking measurements, or
is it also not as accurate as the newer instruments? Is there any
particular instrument that you would recommend?

I understand that the DT22 has quite reasonable accuracy (it
seems to be based on the same "rotating filter" technology
as the X-Rite DTP41 series of instruments), but it
is a "patch at a time" instrument making it slow to read charts.
It also has a reasonably large aperture, limiting the number
of patches that can be printed on a single chart.

A strip reading instrument of some sort (DTP20, DTP41, Eye-One Pro)
will be much less painful to use, if you are doing more than a handful
of charts, but these are often more expensive instruments.