[argyllcms] Re: Ultra large profiles

  • From: John Weissberg <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 11:10:45 +0200

I confirm that "u" is ultraslow. We are working with multi-color profiles and some special methods for editing the BtoA tables.

In this case, I was thinking that an ultralarge BtoA table would add some accuracy. However, given the calculation times required, I think we will give this idea a miss.

Graeme Gill wrote:
John Weissberg wrote:

I intend to begin creating printer profiles via the method profile with tag: -bu

I would not use "u" under almost all circumstances ("u" stands for
"ultra slow"!)

It's there merely for testing - to confirm that it will make no
difference to the output.

So for routine work I'd suggest sticking with the defaut "m".
If you really know it will make a difference, use "h".

If you've absolutely proven that it makes a perceptible
difference to your application (and I'd be interested to know
how this manifests itself), and you can stand the time it takes,
then you might use "u".

Yes, sometimes there may be some benefit in using a higher
resolution for the B2A table, than for the A2B table. This
will depend on the particular devices characteristics.

John Weissberg
PerfectProof - Accuracy Made Easy

www.perfectproof.com
www.printers-website.com