[argyllcms] Re: The k and y option with a eye-one pro and dispcal

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:35:18 +1100

Lars Tore Gustavsen wrote:
I'm a little confused about the -k parameter versus the -y parameter
used with an eye-one pro and dispcal. I think I understand what the k
option do, I'm not so sure about the -y with a spectrometer.

The y option tells the colorimeter what sort of display it is,
so that it can used refresh synchronization for a CRT,
and different instrument calibration values for an LCD.

As a side effect, it changes the default of the -k value.
A CRT usually has a good black and can afford to
set the black color by raising the black level
slightly, while an LCD cannot.

Will  the command  "dispcal -m -yl monitor" and  "dispcal -m -k0
monitor" give the same result?

Not for a colorimeter, since the instrument will use LCD instrument
calibration values in the first case, and CRT instrument calibration
values and refresh synchronization in the second place.