[argyllcms] Re: The different color temperatures: questions: Please look again!

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:23:00 -0500

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 18:27 +0200, "Gerhard Fürnkranz" wrote:

> In Calibration mode, the monitor uses its native (wide gamut) primaries, and
> the luminance, white point chromaticity and gamma targets are established by
> NCE (and eventually the resulting calibration is stored in the monitor).
>
> In Emulation mode, the XL20 attempts to emulate the characteritics of a
> different monitor. When you set up the Emulation mode with NCE then you have
> to supply the ICC profile for the (other) monitor which should be emulated by
> the XL20, and a luminance target. I.e. the major difference between
> Calibration and Emulation mode is, that in Emulation mode the monitor won't
> use it's native primaries, but emulate different ones.
>
> sRGB and AdobeRGB mode are just special cases of Emulation mode, where the
> XL20 emulates the sRGB color space or the AdobeRGB color space.
>
> > Finally, I presume all this works only under Windows
> > (or MacOS), and not under Linux.
>
> No, not under Linux...
>
> You can of course calibrate the monitor once under Windows, and then use the
> calibrated monitor subsequently under Linux.
>
> You possibly still need to fine-tune it under Linux with dispcal (using the
> graphics card LUTs), since the given gamma target and gray balance are not
> established by NCE too accurately (at last not on my XL20). The white point
> target on the other hand is established by NCE pretty accurately (thus
> dispcal w/o specifying any WP target should suffice).

Thanks for confirming what I thought and clarifying it further.

I am still a bit unclear about just exactly what happens in the monitor.

With the usual method using argyll, there is a vcgt tag which is loaded
in the video card.   I checked the default .icm file that came with the
monitor and one I made using the Huey under Windows.   (I did it in
custom mode, which was presumably wrong, but that doesn't matter for
what I say below).  Neither of these had a vcgt tag.   I presume this
means that what would normally go in that tag is (semi-)permanently
stored in the monitor and I don't get to see it.   Presumably the
two .icm files are meant to be used by Photoshop and other color aware
applications in the usual way.

Do I have that more or less right?  If so, using argyll under Linux,
assuming I can skip making the vcgt tag, I can produce a profile and be
in business.

By the way, The profiles appear to be matrix profiles.   At one time, I
understood exactly how they work, but I can't remember the function of
the TRC part of the profile.  As a mathematician, I have no problem with
the matrix part.