[argyllcms] Re: The different color temperatures: questions

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:17:12 +0200

Hal: thank you for your conclusive input!

On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 10:55 -0700, Hal V. Engel wrote:
and to get the black point close to the native white point of the monitor.

Leonard Evens wrote:
I don't think I understand that statement.  Is there a typo in it?

No. Hal's statement refers to the chromaticity of the whitepoint, not the luminance.

The accuracy of the white point is of secondary importance as long as you don't have to compare prints and softproofs side by side. In many viewing situations, one can assume complete chromatic adaptation to the display, especially in dim surroundings.

When you use the display in an office environment, it's less tiring when the monitor chromaticity and luminance corresponds to the ambient conditions -- but a couple of hundred Kelvin more or less are negligible, the more so as the daylight color varies considerably in the course of the day and the seasons.

There are more important things to consider when calibrating a display, e.g. gray balance, banding, ...

Klaus