[argyllcms] Re: Testing my new printer

  • From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 14:27:36 -0400

Roger, Alan, List,

It seems that targen create a set of colors totally enclosed in sRGB colorspace. I even tried to use ProPhoto as a pre-conditioner (-c -A xx) to see if it resulted in something bigger, no chance. Is there a way to explore more volume (gamut) then just sRGB?

As for an objective method of evaluation the more I look at this the more I think we'll need a patch set, maybe in LAB, that presents many color outside of the sRGB gamut say 40-50% and say 20-30% still outside of the output gamut. Then you print these patches using both method, measure the resulting colors of both sets and then proceed to whatever analysis you find relevant. I would think some delta error measures and some statistical measures would be a good start.

Yves

On 7/6/2019 11:14 AM, graxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yves, Alan, List,

Moi aussi, je réfléchis à une méthode objective d’évaluation.

There has to be a difference between “image-gamut based” conversion and “color space” or “specific color space” conversions. The difference, however, is not easy to analyze.

(Have to give it better thought…)

I am running into the same problem as Yves’s original issue, what is it that we’re getting (presumably of ‘extra’ value) when creating custom-tailored printer profiles in Argyll?

As some of you may know, I’m experimenting with Epson EnhanceMatte paper these days, on my humble inkjet printer, and, the moment, I am in the final stage of characterizing the whole thing with an IT8.7/4 target in my hands, ready to measure and generate an Output profile for.

Q1: do I want to flip the switch on some ‘Source’ space optimization? Such as ‘sRGB -> EnhanceMatteCMYK’?

Q2: Once I do, how do I go about finding the difference?

I figure I’m going to need to create some kind of synthetic image to be able to make the differences come out? My take is that A) colors that are already well within gamut, such as skintones, blue skies, most foliage and grays are all going to be mapped pretty much 1:1 but B) colors that are out-of-gamut have to suffer some kind of compression.

I think I remember seeing some visualization of this? But I’d like to see in on a graph, in Excel. Love Excel….

Best / Roger