[argyllcms] Re: Targen options

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:52:53 +1000

Ben Goren wrote:
The print has some ever-so-slight metamerism; it's a hint greenish
in sunlight (similar  to my Kodak grey card, but  not as bad), and
almost magentaish  under some daylight-balanced  fluorescent tubes
I've got in the kitchen. I've  never really noticed the metamerism
before;  I think  the (very  subtle) shifts  in hue  with previous
profiles swamped it.

[ Nomenclature police: Metamerism is when colors with
different spectral responses match. Metamerism failure
is when colors that should match, fail to match. ]

To have any significant impact on this you need to be able
to play with the black in the print. Generally raising black
levels improves neutral robustness under different lighting
conditions. Often this is at the cost of a more visible screening
and banding artefacts. light black and light light black inks
help make this more palatable. You need a direct driver (RIP) and
other tools to play this game though.

cheers,