[argyllcms] Re: Switchable graphics laptop loses display calibration settings (Windows 7)

  • From: Ridouan Agarad <ridouan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:13:02 +0100

It may not be specifically a problem with the Intel chipset utility alone,
it looks like it's a problem of interaction between multiple utilities.

Anyway, after trying to remember what I did last time (1.5 year ago, so
memory was a bit vague on the details earlier), this should do the trick
(with or without intel chipset utility, YMMV) on Windows 7:

1. Make sure that Windows calibration loading is enabled:
- Open control Panel | Color Management
- Go to the last tab ("Advanced")  and click on "Change system defaults..."
- Again go to the last tab ("Advanced")
- Make sure the option "Use Windows display calibration" is enabled. Click
OK and dismiss all dialogs.
- Also make sure the proper profile is selected for your display on the
first tab.

2. Modify scheduled task to fix issue with loading.
- Open Control Panel | Task Scheduler
- Navigate to 'Microsoft/Windows/WindowsColorSystem' in the tree on the
left.
- Right-click the task named 'Calibration Loader' and select 'Properties'
- Go to the tab "Actions" and click the "New" button.
- Create a new action with the following parameters:
    Action: start a new program
    Program/script: C:\argyll\bin\dispwin.exe                      (or
wherever the argyll binaries are located on your machine)
    Add arguments: -c
- Click on "OK" and then use the arrow buttons to move the newly created
action to the top. It MUST precede the 'Custom Handler' action!
- Dismiss all dialogs and close task scheduler.

As an aside, it looks like the issue is with Windows, if you perform a
"Switch User" and log back in and then examine the calibration tables with
e.g. "CalibrationTester.exe", you'll see that the tables are still loaded,
even though the display is reset to uncalibrated state. So it might be some
kind of optimization in the Windows calibration loader that if the values
to be loaded are equal to the values already loaded the windows calibration
loader simply exits without doing anything. By using dispwin -c it seems
the loader is forced to process the calibration correctly. Hope this works
for you!

Kind regards,
Ridouan.