[argyllcms] Support new Calibrator: LG ACB8300

  • From: Andreas Böhler <news@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 21:32:40 +0100

Hello,

recently, I bought an LG ACB8300 colorimeter (a very cheap device based
on a chip by Mazet). The manufacturer claims it is only compatible with
LG displays and has locked its software into LG displays only (I don't
have an LG display).

I'm trying to add support for it to Argyll CMS and, so far, I have a
working implementation which reads the device's calibration matrix and
performs the same conversion steps as the manufacturer's .dll does (I
disassembled and stepped through the original code to get the conversion
routines). The numbers reported match the manufacturer's .dll ones.

My problem is that the numbers don't seem right. I took some simple
measurements of *my screen* displaying RGB(255,0,0), (0,255,0),
(0,0,255) and (255,255,255) and got the following numbers:

(45.7,23.15,0.37)
(48.9,90.8,8.09)
(24.54,10.02,122.8)
(127.97,132.8,136.5)

While the original function is called GetXYZ, the numbers IMHO don't
seem to be CIE XYZ readings!?

Could somebody with a bit more knowledge shed some light into those numbers?

Thanks,
Andreas