[argyllcms] Re: Support for i1 Photo Pro 2 - dual pass

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 05:49:39 -0700

On Sep 23, 2013, at 12:10 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For improving
> visual matching of FWA/OBE containing media, you should
> simply specify the illuminant using the -i parameter,
> and use the -f flag without any parameter.

I'd like to add: if you can get an ambient spectrophotometer measurement of the
actual illuminant the print will be viewed under and feed that to Argyll, the
results are superlative.

I'd also like to add that, contrary to a lot of marketing hype I've seen, no
FWA profiling compensation is a magic bullet. The same print on paper with lots
of FWA will look radically different under sunlight, tungsten, and fluorescent
light, more so than a print on paper without the FWA. What FWA profiling
compensation allows you to do is to make separate prints that will match each
other when viewed under the conditions they were targeted for.

In contrast, a print on FWA-free paper targeted for D50 will show pretty much
the same color shifts as other objects in ways that we expect, such that it'll
probably be a pretty close match for the original in a side-by-side comparison.

Of course, if the original object is also fluorescent, all bets are off....

Cheers,

b&