[argyllcms] Re: Support for i1 Photo Pro 2 - dual pass

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:10:06 +1000

Jim Haddad wrote:

Hi,

> Does argyll support dual passes with the i1 Photo Pro 2?

> I see now that Argyll uses a heuristic for FWA compensation.  Is there a
> way to avoid this, and use the i1 Photo Pro 2's full capabilities?
>
> If not, is that something we might see in the future?

Not currently. I have sketched out a few ideas on what to do
with it, but haven't got around to implementing any of them.

Note that Argyll's FWA compensation does not need the dual pass
data to operate, and will give comparable results for non-exotic
(ie. conventional, non tinted paper) media. This means that
it will also work for an i1pro Rev A-D, as well as Spectrolino.

Using a dual pass would make the FWA operation slightly more
accurate and robust.

> If not, which M mode does chartread use by default?

By default it saves the spectral data from the native instrument
'A' illuminant. The CIE data will be from the same, so M0.

> Am I missing a way to specify a different M mode to use?

Yes - see the colprof -f option:
<http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/colprof.html#f>

Note though that the 'M' modes are rather artificial, and I
can't actually see any real world use for them apart from
comparing to other similar measurements. For improving
visual matching of FWA/OBE containing media, you should
simply specify the illuminant using the -i parameter,
and use the -f flag without any parameter.