[argyllcms] Re: Support for free hardware profilers

  • From: Frédéric <frederic.mantegazza@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 07:57:32 +0100

On Jeudi 09 Mars 2006 05:28, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Just to add some more thoughts on the idea of a "do it yourself"
> monitor instrument :-

I agree with your observations. Even if the HCR project is at an early
stage (plans, software and so have just been released on january),
calibration will always be a real problem.

> Unless you're really wanting to save every penny, and enjoy
> the rewards of tinkering with the the bits of hardware, it
> doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go in this direction.

Yes, it will be mostly for the fun to do such a project. I'll wait a few
months for software/firmeware release, and see what can be done.

> The X-Rite MONACO OPTIX XR is listed at $US250 in their online
> store. This is a DTP94, and I'm told by someone who has
> the technical manual, is very similar in command set to the
> DTP92. If you ask them nicely, X-Rite may well be prepared
> to sell the DTP94 without the software, so the price could
> be something like $US150-200, for a high quality instrument
> that has every prospect of being easy to interface to.
>
> In my book, it's well worth a couple of hundred dollars, to
> avoid the hours of messing about with stuff that may not end
> up working very well.

The nice part is that you have to understand how things really work. Very
good for educational purpose.

> (Since there seems to be some interest in support for a more
>   current display instrument, I'm looking into getting a DTP94.
>   We'll have to see how X-Rite responds.)

Sounds good ! Please, let us know if they respond.

Thanks,

--
   Frédéric

   http://www.gbiloba.org