[argyllcms] Re: Support for free hardware profilers

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:28:24 +1100

Just to add some more thoughts on the idea of a "do it yourself"
monitor instrument :-

Unless you're really wanting to save every penny, and enjoy
the rewards of tinkering with the the bits of hardware, it
doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go in this direction.

The X-Rite MONACO OPTIX XR is listed at $US250 in their online
store. This is a DTP94, and I'm told by someone who has
the technical manual, is very similar in command set to the
DTP92. If you ask them nicely, X-Rite may well be prepared
to sell the DTP94 without the software, so the price could
be something like $US150-200, for a high quality instrument
that has every prospect of being easy to interface to.

In my book, it's well worth a couple of hundred dollars, to
avoid the hours of messing about with stuff that may not end
up working very well.

(Since there seems to be some interest in support for a more
 current display instrument, I'm looking into getting a DTP94.
 We'll have to see how X-Rite responds.)