[argyllcms] Subject: First Steps with Argyll

  • From: Hubert Maston <ashmaston@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:42:57 -0400

Hi,

I am in the process of evaluating all the color management processes for my
company. In the past we used a commercial solution to perform all the
calibration
and characterization operations, CineSpace. I am of course re-evaluating it
along
with others, including Argyll. I have to say, it looks like a really
interesting toolset,
very powerful and flexible. Though it is a bit overwhelming at first and i
am a bit
confused by how to use all the commands. I seem to know what they should do
why i should use this or that to do something, but it seem to always do
something
a bit different that what i expected.

Here is an example. Without even speaking of doing any calibration. Let's
say that
i want to run some tests on a screen, and i want to see for example how far
it is from
sRGB using factory settings. Looking at the Argyll documentation, it looks
like i could
use targen to generate some color patches, and then use dispread to do some
readings. I end up with two files, file.ti1 and file.ti3. Some the next
step would be to
compare them. Again, looking at the doc, it looks like something that i
could do using
the verify command. But, the two inputs have to be ti3 files … So, what am
i doing
wrong here ?

Thanks for you help !

Cheers,