[argyllcms] Re: Striving for excessive accuracy on RGB printers like Epson 9900

  • From: Production <production@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 01:03:16 +0100
On 4 Jul 2013, at 08:53, Mike Rozier <mrozier861@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't believe the Epson 9900 has a native calibration capability - never
> heard of it, and can't find anything on it.

You can linearise the 9900 prior to profiling -- Epson have at least three
applications to do this.

The linearisation data is stored on the computer you've used to carry out the
task rather than being loaded into the printer for all users -- which is
annoying if you need to print from multiple computers as you have to remember
to export and import the data.

It's worth running the linearisation charts even if you don't use them, as it's
the only way of seeing and measuring the pure patches of the 10 colour ink set.

If you want "excessive accuracy" from the 9900 then you should invest in GMG's
ColorProof to drive it. I think that GMG are about the only RIP manufacturer
who are crazy enough to drive the x900 series directly - bypassing Epson's
drivers and screening.

But that excessive accuracy comes at a cost which I don't think is worth paying
unless you're engaged in contract proofing.

Who wants excessive accuracy in RGB printing anyhow?

I want controlled inaccuracy -- distortion to make the most of the gamut,
plenty of smoothness, enhanced colour contrast, boosted shadow detail and
whatever other bells and whistles the profiling software can give me to make
the print look better than it really should ;-)

--
Martin Orpen
Idea Digital Imaging Ltd