[argyllcms] Strange behavior in OS X with dispcal generated shaper profile and, no warning if ccss file doesn't exist

  • From: Symphony Photography <symphonyphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 23:51:19 -0500

I noticed a couple of things with dispcal. First issue:

There doesn't seem to be any warning if a specified .ccss file doesn't
exist. In other words, if you're in the wrong directory, or you misspell
the name of the ccss file there will be no warning. Here's an example:

*Joe-Ciarcias-Mac-Pro:Argyll symphonyphoto$ dispcal -v -r
-XblahHP_calibration_2.ccss
Setting up the instrument
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.14 cd/m^2
White level = 86.98 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.16
Contrast ratio = 633:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3067, 0.3323
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6805K, DE 2K to locus =  9.9
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6799K, DE 2K to locus =  6.5
White        Visual Color Temperature = 6394K, DE 2K to locus =  9.6
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6546K, DE 2K to locus =  6.3
The instrument can be removed from the screen.*

--blahHP_calibration_2.ccss does not exist yet I received no warning.
Here's the correct version:

Joe-Ciarcias-Mac-Pro:Argyll symphonyphoto$ dispcal -v -r
-XHP_calibration_2.ccss
Setting up the instrument
Place instrument on test window.
Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
patch 3 of 3
Current calibration response:
Black level = 0.14 cd/m^2
White level = 86.90 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.16
Contrast ratio = 633:1
White chromaticity coordinates 0.3123, 0.3288
White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6526K, DE 2K to locus =  4.7
White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6526K, DE 2K to locus =  0.2
White        Visual Color Temperature = 6355K, DE 2K to locus =  4.5
White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6521K, DE 2K to locus =  0.2
The instrument can be removed from the screen.

Obviously not a deal breaker, but it's getting cold in New England and
sometimes my fingers don't move well when I'm keeping the heat down to save
on oil (that and the Mac Pro plus a RAID stack goes a long way to heat my
editing room :-) ).

Here's the other issue... I ran the following command:

dispcal -v -d1 -c1 -o -qm -yl -b110 -w0.3132,0.3297 -G2.13 -F
-XHP_calibration_2.ccss HP_Quick_Shaper

From what I understand, this should generate a matrix profile. I just
wanted to generate a quick one that I could use with targen. What's a bit
strange is that after copying this profile to my profiles folder and
selecting it for the HP LP3065, it affects BOTH of my screens (my 2nd
screen is an NEC 2690). I have a white background up on the NEC and the
second I select the dispcal generated profile on the HP, the white
background on the NEC turns purple On the HP you can also tell something
has gone awry as interface items like the menu bar turn yellow (and not an
incorrectly entered white point yellow, but really really yellow. I'd say
this was an OS X issue but this is the only profile that this happens with.
I tried generating it a few times and I get the same results every time.
Now if I take away the gamma, white point, brightness, and quality settings:

dispcal -v -d1 -c1 -o -yl -F -XHP_calibration_2.ccss HP_Quick_Shaper2

Then it works. Okay... taking it slow, let's just add white point back
in...

ispcal -v -d1 -c1 -o -yl -w 0.3132,0.3297 -F -XHP_calibration_2.ccss
HP_Quick_Shaper3

Doesn't work, changing the primary monitor to this profile also messes up
the NEC2690.

This just doesn't make any sense. Seems like a definite OS bug but yet,
this is the only profile I have that this happens with. Am I doing
something wrong?

Cheers, Joe