[argyllcms] Re: Spyder3 + ArgyllCMS for Wide Gamut Display

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 18:05:50 +1000

xun wang wrote:
> Hi, does the Spyder3 need a Correction Matrix file for calibrating wide
> gamut display?

It depends what you mean by "need". Most colorimeters will be improved
by using a correction matrix made for a specific display and colorimeter
combination. Whether this is necessary depends on your judgement.

> I know it does support it when using its OEM software, so I'm just wondering
> if the Spyder3 hardware itself supports it or it's simply tweaked on the
> software side. thanks!

Most colorimeters can have modified calibration matrices written back to them.
This allows for the possibility of re-calibrating them, or calibrating them
for a particular situation. Argyll doesn't have that particular facility,
since I really don't want to be accused of bricking an instrument !
So in Argyll the correction is done in the software.