[argyllcms] Re: Spyder2 Questions

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

Hmmm,

There are three elements to using Argyll: proficiency (know-how), instrument
(accuracy), and technique (setup).

Now Argyll CMS is a black box and it took me a long time to learn how to use it
confidently.

Automatic calibration and profiling will give substandard results for low-grade
displays. This is also true for the commercial GUI-based calibration software!

Without knowing the native behaviour of your display (white point, neutral
response, gamut) I can't give specific recommendations. In general:

If you're happy with native white point (colour temperature is satisfactory and
delta E to daylight locus is small) then use that. Else, try correcting the
white point.

If you're display has an elevated black level then try experimenting with the
dispcal parameter -f

If you're display has a narrow gamut (less than sRGB) then the result might be
more pleasing with only the calibration loaded (e.g. dispwin) and no colour
management (no profile).

When you get your i1D2 back, I suggest comparing the response of the display
with both instruments.

I have used my Spyder2 to calibrate:
2003 vintage CRT display (now dead) (which was a joy to calibrate and profile)

s-IPS standard gamut LCD (which was well-behaved and easy).
2004 vintage laptop LCD with CCFL backlight (difficult)
2008 vintage glossy WLED netbook LCD (difficult but a considerable improvement
in neutrality)
2011 vintage glossy WLED notebook LCD (getting easier but WLED LCDs still suck)
Stephen.