[argyllcms] Re: Spyder 3 pro

  • From: Kit Johnson <subscribed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:09:29 +0700

Hmm. hwver = 0x40f

That's unfortunate. The other examples I've seen of
a Spyder 3 Pro and Elite have a hwver of 0x407, and
the Express has a hwver of 0x40f. So I drew the conclusion
that 0x40f means that there is no ambient sensor.

I don't current know of any other way of determining
whether an ambient sensor is present. (The instrument
will go through the motions and return zero values
if it is not present.)

So short of enabling ambient for all Spyder 3 models
and then having people complain that their Spyder 3 Express
is returning zero values, I'm not sure what to do!

Graeme Gill.
I have managed to get spyder 3 pro software working in windows on virtualbox. It is able to take ambient light readings and calibrate, but when it calibrates the file.icc that it saves is unusable. Loading it (after typing dispcal -c first) does not change the display.

I compared the ambient light readings that I obtained from dispcalGUI in linux and from the spyder software in windows. I used spotread -D5 -a 2> log.txt and the ambient light reading was the same as the one I got from dispcalGUI. I tested two conditions, first in indirect sunlight, second with a black curtain used to block the sunlight.
1.    DispcalGUI     63.3 lux, 4137K.    Spyder = "very high"
2.    DispcalGUI      3.6 lux,   3540 K.    Spyder = "moderately low"

The windows readings make sense. I do not know much about lux. Do these measurements match? If so, the instrument is definitely working in linux.