[argyllcms] Re: Spyder 3 pro

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:35:17 +1100

Kit wrote:
linux.  I'm doing it right now.  I'm just wondering about the
'pro' bit of my expensive new purchase.

Hi,
        the "Pro" bit means that you've bought more expensive
MSWin/OS X software with the instrument.

This means that the
device is able to measure ambient lighting.  On this page
(http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/instruments.html#spyd3) it says
"The ambient light sensor can be used with the Spyder3Elite and
Spyder3Pro instruments, but returns a monochrome reading"

Does this mean that the ambient light sensor is useless to me?

If you're after some sort of fancy/funny "automatic dynamic display adjustment
based on current ambient light", then yes, since (AFAIK) there is no
support for this "feature" on Linux. Personally, I think that such
a feature is incompatible with serious color, and a better approach
is to control the monitor viewing environment if color is important.

If you want to use the ambient measurement to allow for some of
the viewing environment conditions, (ie. dispcal -a parameter),
then you can certainly do so, as a color reading isn't needed.

If I cannot go any further with the ambient light sensor in
linux, is there a way I can use it to measure the three lighting
situations I've given in Windows, and then to save three separate
profiles to be used under linux?

You can create calibration curves and ICC profiles with perceptual
tables that make some allowance for viewing conditions in Argyll.
For calibration, see <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/dispcal.html#a>
and for ICC profiles see <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/colprof.html#d>