[argyllcms] Re: Spotread with x-rite DTP20 - low reading result values

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 13:59:52 +1000

Michał Materski wrote:

Recently I bought a DTP20 of a Polish online auction website. It's just the
device and USB cable, no Pathfinder. The device have 'Xerox' written on it,
so I guess it came bundled with a hi-end printer. I wonder if those devices
came with no Pathfinder because I saw quite many online auctions with just
device, w/o Pathfinder.

What's a "Pathfinder" - oh OK, I have never noticed that the strip
guide has that on it.

I installed Argyll on my Windows 7 with no problems. I played around with
few commands, then decided to try spotread. When I measure a white patch (I
tried regular blank paper, photo paper and white background on a cover of
magazine) the biggest lightness I get is well below 50.

You can't put the DTP20 flat against the sample - it has to be raised by
the thickness of the strip guide (3.23 mm) to allow the LED's to illuminate
the test area properly.

4. Is this device worth anything w/o Pathfinder? I bought it for <70usd
and it'd be nice if I could use it with decent or at least ok results (home
use, nothing proffessional). But if not, I think I'll return it. The seller
specified it can be returned within 14 days.

The strip guide has an optical track ("zebra stripe") that it uses to figure out
the patch spacing. I doubt the strip recognition will work without it. So:

You at least need a spacer to read individual color value.

You need the Pathfinder to be able to measure strips.

You can't calibrate it, since the Pathfinder has the calibration tile in it
(as per any serious instrument, the calibration tile has a s/n and is matched
to the instrument.)

So I suspect you will want to send it back.