[argyllcms] Re: Spectrometer measurement of Colorchecker SG etc targets.

  • From: Ernst Dinkla <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:23:07 +0200

Op 29-9-2010 9:51, Graeme Gill schreef:

[It makes little sense to me to manufacture a target that contains
any fluorescent materials, since this can only lead to problems.]

Graeme Gill.

Thank you.

That would be the logical thing to do but it isn't always going that route.

I did test some targets made on chromogene photo papers and they are not free of FBAs. Among them the IT8 7/2 on Kodak Professional Digital paper of Wolf Faust an the Q-60 IT8 7/2. of Kodak on Kodak Endura. Main FBA content in the paper base but still showing in the white patches at the front. While their use is intended for scanners and UV level is low or non existant in the light source there, it gives faster degradation of the target and unexpected results when used for other tasks. I excluded them in my first message as I suspected FBA content in them.

Several grayscale reflection targets of Kodak and the Color Control patches have no FBA content. Either made with offset printing or analogue B&W process.

I could see some sense in adding fluorescent patches and a patch of say Teflon with a high non-fluorescent white reflectance as an extra check on UV content when the target is used in practice. I do not expect it in the targets like the Colorchecker but I like to be sure about that.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,      Ernst

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions

|          Dinkla Grafische Techniek         |
|             www.pigment-print.com           |
|             (         unvollendet         )            |