[argyllcms] Re: Some buildsystem issues

  • From: Jörg Frings-Fürst <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:58:49 +0200

Hi Graeme,

Am Dienstag, den 09.09.2014, 16:46 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:
> Jörg Frings-Fürst wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > on my work on the new argyll package I found some issues:
> >
> > - on debian sid the tiffio.h is installed on
> >      /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu  or
> >      /usr/include/i386-linux-gnu
> >
> > - libtiff.(so|a) are also installed on
> >      /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu
>
> Yes, the different Linux systems seem to keep moving
> them around. Makes it difficult for applications to find
> them. V1.7 Beta includes some fixes for this.
>
> > - The if clauses
> >      if ! $(BUILTIN_TIFF) && $(UNIX)  and
> >      if ! $(HAVE_TIFF) || $(BUILTIN_TIFF)
> >   don't run with the default shell "/bin/sh".
> >   With "/bin/bash" it seems ok.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean. One problem I constantly
> come across is that some critical environment variables are
> not exported by default, ie. $OSTYPE $MACHTYPE $HOSTTYPE
The not exported vars was my first idea, too. But it wasn't.

First I check the vars via echo. That looks ok.

Then I split the if clauses into

if ! $(BUILTIN_TIFF) {
if $(UNIX) { ...

This works correctly.

After change the default shell to /bin/bash the

if ! $(BUILTIN_TIFF) && $(UNIX)

works fine. The if ! $(HAVE_TIFF) || $(BUILTIN_TIFF) too.

I think that is a trouble with the default shell. /bin/sh was linked
to /bin/dash.

> Is that perhaps what you mean ?
>
> > - The debhelper build flags
> >      $(CPPFLAGS) and
> >      $(LDFLAGS)
> >   are not included.
>
> Neither CPPFLAGS nor LDFLAGS are part of Jambase. Unless they are
> standard environment variables used across a lot of Unix like systems,
> I'm not inclined to include them.
>
> What functionality are you getting from them ?

The debhelper *FLAGS are used for setup | enable cross compiling,
hardening, debug and so on..

> Graeme Gill.

CU
Jörg

--
pgp Fingerprint: 7D13 3C60 0A10 DBE1 51F8  EBCB 422B 44B0 BE58 1B6E
pgp Key: BE581B6E

Jörg Frings-Fürst
D-54526 Niederkail

Threema: SYR8SJXB