[argyllcms] Setting up argyllcms on Uvuntu machine?

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:45:03 -0600

I've been  using argyllcms under Fedora Linux 7, and I recently upgraded
to Fedora 9.   I've found in the past that it is better to do a fresh
install rather than upgrading the existing system, and that is what I
did for Fedora 9.  Of course, that means I had to reinstall all the
extras, including argyllcms.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that
argyllcms is now available as a Fedora package, and that simplified
things enormously.

In addition, I now have a Dell laptop which came with Ubuntu 8.04
installed.  Unfortunately, I am not as familiar with Ubuntu (Debian) as
I am with RedHat derivatives such as Fedora.  In particular, I am
struggling to understand package management under ubuntu.  There is an
application called add/remove programs, but the genral consensus seems
to be that it is useless and that I should use the synaptic package
manager instead.  A web search seems to show there is an ubuntu package
for argyllcms, but I can't find it by searching with the synaptic
manager.   Can anyone tell me just what to do to get that argyllcms
package and then install it in a relatively transparent manner?
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University