[argyllcms] Re: Scaling of XYZ reference data for camera input profile

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 19:00:19 -0400

On 5/15/12, Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I would wonder though, how accurate various cameras can realize the
> prescribed f-stops and shutter speeds, how well they are repeatable, and how
> uniform the steps between different adjacent f-stops and shutter speed are
> distributed in reality.
>
> [ Maybe someone here on the list has experience regarding f-stop and shutter
> speed accuracy of typical cameras and can give some numbers? ]

I've never seen tests on shutter-speed accuracy alone. But several
years ago I looked into how to test for sensor linearity. Of course
what can be done without a laboratory and special equipment is a test
of the whole system, sensor+lens+shutter speed+ etc. If the data is
linear, one can assume all the parts are working as expected.
Otherwise, the question is where is the nonlinearity coming from. You
might find the following references interesting:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/evaluation-1d2/
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/evaluation-nikon-d200/index.html
http://www.brisk.org.uk/photog/d3respiso200.html
http://www.brisk.org.uk/photog/5drespiso100.html
color.psych.upenn.edu/brainard/papers/Brainard39.pdf
http://www.vinland.com/Linearity.html

flare:
http://www.vinland.com/Contrast.html

Elle