[argyllcms] Re: -S command in Colprof for printer profiles

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:26:05 -0400

Graeme,

Thanks for responding.  Yes I did read the iccgamutmapping page (several
times).  Inkjet printers are simple RGB devices and I understand the linkage
between the monitor profile settings and viewing the print that comes out
from an appropriately profiled printer.  I have a Solux lamp next to my
printer and I've calibrated my monitor brightness so that I can match the
print brightness for viewing the results.  I know that some colors will be
out of gamut because the working color space of the monitor is greater than
the printer (certainly in the case of ProPhoto and parts of AdobeRGB). So my
fundamental question is that Lightroom is ProPhoto by default and I have
Photoshop set for ProPhoto as well, thus I should create printer profiles
using -SProPhoto.icc since that's what the software is using.  I also have a
good knowledge of softproofing and its limitations in terms of choosing
whether to print using "perceptual" or "relative colorimetric" what was/is
confusing is the use of -S and its relationship to my printer.

I did find Gerhard's note useful.  I guess where the confusion comes in is
the relation between the various working spaces and whether commerical
profiling products (e.g., X-Rite) address the source space or not when a
profile is created using them.

I think the final question that you pose is something that would be
worthwhile to me in terms of making things clearer (Would a general overview
of the relationship between ICC profile mechanics/nomenclature and device
behavior modeling have avoided the confusion ?)

One final note, the Argyll profiles that I've done for my printer are
excellent and in several cases much better than the paper manufacturer's
provide profile from their website.

Alan