[argyllcms] Re: Reproducing watercolor on watercolor paper?

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:18:25 -0700
On 2008 Jun 21, at 10:46 AM, Ben Goren wrote:

Um...help? I'm running out of paper to experiment with for test prints, so I'm hoping for some guidance of what to try next....

Well, the good news is that I just got a test print I could live with. The bad news is that it was on the last sheet I had for testing -- but I can get more paper, so it's not that bad.

The profile of the watercolor paper has a white point of XYZ = 0.816, 0.919, 0.732; according to Bruce Lindbloom's online calculator, that's 238, 245, 239 in ProPhoto RGB. (It's also decidedly green, while the paper is yellowish-tan.) When I used Photoshop's color correction tool on the highlights to get a spot of the bare paper to match those numbers, and when I used absolute colorimetric for the gamut-mapped linked profile for printing, the print came out very close. There isn't any ink on the parts of the original that were bare paper. The highlights are very slightly washed out, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tweak that the rest of the way. I'm sure it's already ``good enough'' for Mom, but I /do/ need to figure out how to do it ``right''....

So, is there any chance that this could instead be done colorimetrically? Do I need to start with a better profile for the camera...?

Cheers,

b&