[argyllcms] Re: Rendering Intents

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 08:40:10 -0700

On Apr 7, 2014, at 8:15 AM, Stalis Man <stalis_man@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes I understand all that Graeme, my concern was that 'perceptual' seems to
> be trumpeted as the intent most likely to 'succeed' and hence I wonder if I
> have done something wrong.

It depends on what the goal is, as well as other constraints such as device
gamut.

If you're doing fine art reproduction and the printer has a smaller gamut than
the original, perceptual is very likely your best bet. It'll look a bit washed
out in a side-by-side comparison, but that should be the only significant
complaint.

If you're printing photographic originals and the photographer is a fan of
"pop," especially HDR and similar aesthetics, saturation may well win the day.

And, for certain types of prepress work, only absolute is even theoretically
acceptable.

Right tool for the right job....

b&