[argyllcms] Re: Rendering Intents

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:28:15 +1100

Stalis Man wrote:

Hi,

> collink -v -qh -i s -g srgb.icc cmy190214_SP.icm sRGBcmy190214_s.icm
> for a saturated intent.

> I am profiling  a printer with just C, M and Y hence I
> made the cmy190214_SP.icm profile without any K at all with:

> colprof -v -qh -kz -l300 -iD50 -nP -nS -S srgb.icc cmy090114.

So the printer is defined to be CMY space ? If so, the -kz doesn't
apply - there is no K ink.

Or do you mean that you have profiled it as a CMYK printer ?
If so, -kz is not guaranteed to give you zero K ink, it just gives
you the minimum possible that achieves the target colors.

> I printed of the standard colour checker card I was
> surprised that the perceptual intent looked rather ‘smokey’ compared to the
> Saturated intent whilst the Relative looked too brown compared to the
> Absolute.

It's not possible to comment without knowing the source of the image file,
the workflow used to print it, or be able to see the result.

> As a result folks seem to prefer the saturated intent whilst
> I had expected the Perceptual to be the one they would want.  Their choice is
> down to the  general darkening of the perceptual.

Naturally people prefer "pop" if they see it in isolation and want impact.
"pop" is not accuracy though.

> Is the perceptual being smokey/ darkened to be expected or
> have I dropped an obvious clanger.

Check what you mean by CMY. To profile in CMY you need to create a CMY
chart and print with just CMY.