[argyllcms] Re: Reference Medium Gamut in colprof

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:59:56 +1100

Ivan Tsyba wrote:
> How to use Perceptual Reference Medium Gamut as source gamut for
> perceptual intent table calculation in colprof for printer profile?
>
> colprof -g RefMediumGamut.gam not working - source profile is still needed.

Hi,
        currently the .gam file doesn't have all the needed information
for defining the gamut mapping - specficically it's missing a white
point and black point. It's something that probably could be overcome
so that a pure gamut can be used as a source of gamut mapping.

>  As I'm thought about it, this give me more versatile profile that can
> be used with different source profiles. Or I misunderstood something
> important?

Argyll doesn't currently work along the lines of the assumptions
used in V4 PRMG workflows, since it doesn't create a symetrical
mapping between A2B and B2A perceptual and saturation tables.
Such an option would be good in making profiles that will
inter-operate with other profiles setup to use the PRMG.

But note that the result is a lot less accurate and flexible
than creating a specific source to destination mapping.

See <file:///D:/usr/graeme/www.argyllcms.com/doc/iccgamutmapping.html>
for a more detailed discussion.