[argyllcms] Re: Recommendations to tweak ArgyllCMS profile to open up shadows?

  • From: Jerry Chan <jchan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:08:15 -0500

Hi Brad,

I experimented with both absolute colorimetric and relative colorimetric, absolute showed white as a beige whereas relative was a very good match to the screens except for the mid-to-shadow area which is way too dark on the two brands of matte papers I've tried.

For soft proofing I am using the Qimage Ultimate (2014.250). I also have Photoshop but am unclear how to soft proof there. Images were post-processed using Capture One.

I am viewing the prints using dual Philips 40W daylight balanced flourescents in my office as well as actual daylight through my office window during the day.

I wonder if the matte ink / paper combination is giving ArgyllCMS issues due to high ink dot gain? Printing on glossy photo looks much better using the same targets and hardware. I was hoping that someone could offer up some magical adjustments (i.e., settings to control max ink densities, tweak curves, generate more patches targeting darker shades, etc.).

Jerry

On 12/3/2014 10:44 AM, Brad Funkhouser wrote:
Jerry,

Looking at various viewing light standards a while ago I remember the level
of light on the print ranging between 500 and 2000 Lux.  My viewing lights
put 1000 Lux on the print and my display brightness is 120 cd/m2.

I've found that trying to match prints to displays is very sensitive
business... viewing light & display brightness, white points, surrounds,
ambient light levels, textures, gloss, viewing light spectrum, angles, paper
optical brighteners... they all play significant factors.

Questions...

What rendering intent are you using when printing and what system are you
using for soft proofing?

Thanks.

- Brad